I’m honored to know that another writer sees me as a creative sort. That’s particularly inspiring as that writer, Jack R. Cotner, is one of the most creative souls I’ve ever encountered. He writes poetry, short stories, and novels in addition to painting and sculpting. You can see his work and learn more about his stories on his blog at https://jackronaldcotner.wordpress.com/. You can find his short stories published here, and his novel here. Jack writes compelling fiction that pushes the boundaries of traditionally recognized genres. I previously mentioned his Celtic murder mystery here on this site, and I hope we’ll soon see the next book in that excellent series.
Following the pattern for this award, I’ll share five facts about myself. Then, in my own adaptation of the Creative Blogger award, I’m “nominating” 15 sites that I frequently read and hope that you will enjoy, as well. No obligation to either bloggers or readers—just an invitation to browse interesting sites and celebrate creativity in different forms!
#1. When it comes to writing, I’m a world-class procrastinator. This post is proof—I should be pushing my current WIP toward the finish line, and instead I’m writing this. I keep meaning to create a character who shares this lamentable trait but somehow there’s always something else to do first…<wink>
#2. I’m a binge reader, with books in every room of the house. Novels, textbooks, anthologies, children’s books, journals, how-to books. Books by authors (both famous and obscure) in myriad genres and categories and styles. From leather-bound classics to treasured first editions to tattered paperbacks, you’ll find them all here.
#3. My passion for detail has led to some interesting adventures. Topping that list would be a private cave tour when I was researching Deadly Ties; we were a quarter-mile underground when somebody up top switched off the generator powering the lights in the cave passages. Fortunately, we each had a small flashlight, which saved us from taking a nasty tumble more than once as we inched our way back to the surface. And that’s the backstory to how I came to develop a character who’s afraid of the dark.
#4. I can claim just a few athletic achievements in my lifetime. The best one? A bike race during an annual aerobics test. I came in first, ahead of every single Marine in the pack. I would have hollered for joy if I hadn’t been too busy gasping for breath…
#5. If asked to describe myself in one word, I choose “happy.” I love where I live, what I do, and who I share my life with. I’ve travelled much of the world and met wonderful people in magical places. These hills I call home have an enchantment all their own, and every day is an adventure.
Here are my 15 recommendations* for your own virtual enjoyment:
- Dog lover? https://nodogaboutit.wordpress.com/
- If you’re a writer and/or fan of paranormal: http://jamigold.com/blog/
- Love photography? Outdoors? http://stevecreek.com/blog/
- Because you can’t have too much beauty: http://www.toddphotos.com/photo-blog/
- Follow the hunt for looted antiquities in the world’s museums: http://chasingaphrodite.com/
- If you’re an eclectic reader, you’ll want to see http://doranna.net/wordplay/
- Mystery & humor abound at http://www.marjamcgraw.blogspot.com/
- “Because you can never have too many books” go to http://bookviewcafe.com/blog/
- Looking for new-to-you books? Check Susan Toy’s https://readingrecommendations.wordpress.com/
- Enjoy Pat Gilgor’s view of mystery and suspense: http://pat-writersforum.blogspot.com/
- Victorian fans will want to visit the Front Parlor: http://mlouisalocke.com/blog/
- Interested in Irish mythology and contemporary fantasy? http://aliisaacstoryteller.com/
- Meet more writers: http://evelyncullet.com/
- “Tales of a former indie bookseller” at https://cncbooksblog.wordpress.com/
- Did I mention you can never have too many books? http://www.shelleyreadsandreviews.blogspot.com/
*Note: I tried my best not to double-tag any blogger nominated by previous award recipients.
Nominees: if you’d like to participate, there are just three simple things to do: 1) acknowledge the blogger who nominated you by name (me) & URL (http://dogmysteries.com/); 2) share five facts about yourself; and 3) nominate 15 bloggers whose sites you enjoy. (Apologies if I inadvertently included any “award-free” blogs)
Readers, jump in! Have a site you’d like to nominate? Post the link in the comments!